The Golden LEAF Foundation is seeking a Controller to direct all financial activities of the Foundation, establish policies and procedures to support these activities, and ensure compliance. This position reports directly to the President/CEO of the Foundation.
About Golden LEAF
The Golden LEAF Foundation was established in 1999 to administer a portion of the tobacco settlement agreement monies back into North Carolina’s rural and economically distressed communities. For almost 20 years, the nonprofit has partnered with state and local governments and other foundations to build economic opportunity across North Carolina through leadership in grantmaking, collaboration, innovation, and stewardship as an independent and perpetual foundation.
The Foundation, governed by a board of directors appointed by leaders of North Carolina’s legislative and executive branches, has focused on critical issues facing rural communities including bringing jobs and building industry by providing resources to communities, awarding scholarships to local students and administering the state’s relief efforts following natural disasters.
Additional information regarding Golden LEAF financials is available at this link.
Functions performed by the Controller include the following as well as other related duties as assigned.
- Approve and code invoices for payment
- Coordinate receipt of banking information for ACH payments; release weekly ACH batches
- Communicate biweekly payroll information to firm providing payroll processing services
- Reconcile investment custodial statements to investment manager statements monthly
- Reconcile bank statements
- Maintain fixed asset detail
- Reconcile grants payable per the grants database to the general ledger balance monthly
- Record journal entries for monthly investment activity, bank interest income and service charges, prepaid assets, depreciation, grant awards and rescissions, accrued payroll and accrued liabilities
- Prepare monthly financial statements
- Prepare monthly budget report / track expenditures
- Report financial results to the finance committee of the Board of Directors
Reporting, Audit, and Compliance
- Draft annual financial statements and Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards
- Prepare other financial reports as required
- Serve as staff liaison to the audit committee of the Board of Directors and the independent auditors
- Prepare reporting package for inclusion in the State of North Carolina’s Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) and other reports as required
- Compile information to be used in preparation of the Foundation’s tax returns
- File required tax forms
- Continually evaluate internal controls
- Assist in developing and revising the accounting policies and procedures manual
- Monitor compliance with ERISA requirements of 403(b) retirement plans
Budget and Planning
- Maintain positive banking relationships and an efficient cash management system such that there are positive cash flows and that excess balances are invested
- Develop, analyze and monitor the annual budget of the Foundation
- Maintain budget in the general ledger system
- Maintain the chart of accounts in the general ledger system
- Explore, structure, and recommend financial instruments for financing large initiatives
- Provide advice and assistance to other staff members regarding financial issues that arise in the Foundation’s activities and in the development of monitoring outcomes for new programs and initiatives.
The Controller is expected to:
- Comply with the Foundation’s policies and procedures including those in the Employee Handbook
- Maintain the Foundation’s tradition of receiving clean, unmodified audit opinions
- Meet or exceed expectations regarding competencies detailed in the Foundation’s Annual Evaluation instrument such as Adaptability, Communication, Collaboration, Critical and Analytical Thinking, and Accountability
- Exceptional organizational and time-management skills and a proven ability to handle competing external and internal deadlines in a fast-paced environment. The ability and temperament to pivot priorities on short-notice is an essential requirement.
- Exceptional written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Energetic, self-motivated, and comfortable in public speaking situations
- High standard of excellence, accuracy and consistency, personal integrity, and accountability
- Familiarity with rural North Carolina and attraction to the mission of the Golden LEAF Foundation is highly desired
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience with QuickBooks
- A four-year degree in a related field
- Be a licensed certified public accountant (CPA)
- Golden LEAF will conduct a criminal background check and may conduct additional background checks and drug tests of applicants prior to extending an offer for employment.
This position will be based at the Golden LEAF offices at 301 N. Winstead Avenue in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.
Compensation and Benefits
The Controller is a full-time, professional position with compensation and benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience. Anticipated hiring range of $120,000 to $150,000.
Send resume and cover letter to Rhea Barnes, Senior Director of Administrative Services, Golden LEAF Foundation by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and a decision to hire will be made when the successful candidate is identified.
Although applications will be accepted until the position is filled, Golden LEAF anticipates first-round interviews will begin no earlier than November 17, 2021.
For questions, contact Rhea Barnes, Senior Director of Administrative Services, by emailing email@example.com. No phone calls, please.