Each year, the Golden LEAF Foundation reviews the impact made through its funding programs. In Fiscal Year 2021, the Golden LEAF Foundation Board of Directors awarded $45,853,039.67 in new funding to support 53 projects to implement economic development strategies in 34 counties across the state. Additionally, organizations with active Golden LEAF projects reported the following outcomes:
- 858 new positions filled
- More than $27 million in new payroll,
- More than $507 million in capital investment, and
- More than 4,400 people were trained or had their skills upgraded.
Golden LEAF’s four funding priorities support its mission to increase economic opportunity in North Carolina’s rural and tobacco-dependent communities. The 53 awarded projects focused on the following Golden LEAF priorities:
|Priority Area||Number of Projects||Award Total|
|Job Creation and Economic Investment||25||$24,969,720.38|
|Community Competitiveness, Capacity & Vitality||3||$688,412.00|
Projects awarded funds in FY2021 are projected to create at least 1,905 jobs and result in capital investment of more than $2.3 billion over the next few years.
The Golden LEAF Board awarded four projects under the Golden LEAF Scholars Program totaling $7,631,584 to support scholarships for rural students to attend the state’s two- and four-year colleges and universities. Funds also support internships and leadership development for participating Golden LEAF’s four-year scholarship recipients. Since 2000, Golden LEAF has awarded more than $70,792,877.73 to assist more than 22,855 students from rural counties to attend two- and four-year colleges and universities in North Carolina.
Since 1999, Golden LEAF funding has helped create more than 66,000 jobs, $723 million in new payroll, $4.9 billion in new capital investment, and 90,000 people trained or skills upgraded. Learn more about funded projects by reading the press releases below and by visiting the Golden LEAF online grants database.
- (August 2020) Golden LEAF Board announces 19 projects totaling more than $11M in funding, hears economic update from Tom Barkin, President of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
- (October 2020) At the October meeting, Golden LEAF Board awards $5.5M in funding, welcomes new Board member, hears update from North Carolina Community College System interim president
- (December 2020) Golden LEAF Board awards $2.4M in funding, elects board officers and committee chairs, works on development of strategic plan
- (February 2021) Golden LEAF Board awards $2M in funding, adopts long-term strategic plan, hears update on economy
- (April 2021) Golden LEAF announces $15.2 million in awards, leverages $14 million in other funds
- (June 2021) Golden LEAF announces $5.7 million in awards, takes steps to begin implementation of strategic plan, hears from N.C. Commerce Secretary Machelle Baker Sanders